- Funding awarded: £999,919
- Duration of programme: 4 years
- Number of beneficiaries: 809
- Replication areas (England): Berkshire, Somerset, Hampshire, London, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Gloucestershire, Manchester, Lancashire, South Yorkshire and Warwickshire
- Partners: Berkshire Youth, Action4Youth (Buckinghamshire), Essex Girls and Boys Club, Young Gloucestershire, Hampshire Youth Options, London Youth Girls & Boys Clubs of Greater Manchester / Lancashire Boys & Girls Clubs, Somerset Rural Youth Project, Safe in Tees Valley and Warwickshire Clubs for Young People
Intervention: Lions Quest Skills for Adolescence
Lions Quest Skills for Adolescence is a personal and social development programme aimed at young people aged 10 to 14-years-old. It has been delivered in 72 countries worldwide and has engaged over 12 million young people so far.
Ambition is bringing Skills for Adolescence to the UK for the first time. The programme helps young people to make informed decisions, become an active member of the community, resist peer pressure and develop positive personal relationships. It also encourages young people to resist drug and alcohol usage.
Schools and trainers have closely monitored the impact of the programme and have witnessed a 72% decline in in-school detentions, a 38% decrease in bullying of boys vs girls, a 35% decrease of bullying of girls vs girls, lower levels of school drop-out and a 15% increase of school attainment.
After completing the programme, 63% of the Skills for Adolescence students disapproved of peers who used drugs compared to 55% of students not enrolled in the program. Students showed significantly higher perception of the harm to their health caused by alcohol and other drugs.
Specific activities to be delivered as part of the intervention include workshops either in schools or youth clubs, covering eight units of personal and social development. All participants will also plan and deliver a community project.
Delivery organisation: Ambition
Ambition is the UK’s leading youth club charity supporting its members to deliver high quality, positive, fun experiences and services so young people can achieve and develop outside of school. Working in partnership with members to support more than 3,500 youth clubs and youth community projects, reaching over 350,000 young people.