- Funding awarded: £1,193,000
- Duration of programme: 5 years
- Number of beneficiaries: 600
- Replication areas (Scotland): Aberdeen, Angus, Dundee, East Ayrshire, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Midlothian, South Lanarkshire and West Lothian
- Partners: Local authorities within the replication areas
Intervention: Plusone Mentoring
Plusone Mentoring targets young people aged eight to 14-year-olds identified by partners as being at high risk of moving into the criminal justice system and showing evidence of multiple risk factors across school, family and local community.
The programme places the young person at the centre of changing behaviour and increasing aspiration to construct positive pathways to realising their fullest potential. It is a proven model of engaging and diverting high-risk young people out of the criminal justice system using trained local volunteer mentors and a youth work approach.
Delivery organisation: YMCA Scotland
YMCA Scotland has extensive experience working with vulnerable eight to 14-year-olds. Over the past five years a strong emphasis on early intervention has developed, resulting in a number of successful approaches supporting those from primary school through teenage years at risk of exclusion.