Publication Date: April 2023
Next Review Date: April 2024
Commitment to achieving Net Zero
Catch22 is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2050.
Baseline emissions footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce
Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
Baseline Year: September 2020 – August 2021 (20/21 Financial Year)
Additional details relating to the Baseline Emissions calculations:
- Scope 1: 0 t
- Scope 2: Gas (SORP) 324.62 t; Electric (SORP) 157.86 t
- Scope 3*: Flight (Click Travel) 0.45 t; Trains (Click Travel) 2.55 t; Hotels (Click Travel) 8.26 t; Mileage (HMRC) 96.07 t
*Note limited Scope 3 due to current limited scope to report waste disposal, employee commuting, supply chain, subcontractors and impact of home working on energy usage. This will be reported more fully in future years.
Baseline Year Emissions: September 2020 – August 2021
|Scope 1||0 t|
|Scope 2||482.48 t|
|Scope 3 (including sources)||107.33 t|
|Total Emissions||589.81 t|
Current emissions reporting
Reporting Year: Currently baseline year: September 2021 to August 2022
|Scope 1||0 t|
|Scope 2||436.53 t|
|Scope 3 (including sources)||328.46 t|
|Total Emissions||764.99 t|
Gas and electricity emissions are down but overall emissions are up as a result of increased travel post-COVID. We will be implementing plans to reduce this and hit our Net Zero target following the appointment of our Sustainability Coordinator.
Emissions reduction targets
In order to achieve Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon reduction targets:
- We project that carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to 680 tCO2e by 2024-25 and 440 tCO2e by 2026-27, a reduction of 11% and 42% respectively.
- With the current baseline, we expect to reach Net Zero by 2040-41. We expect additional targets to affect our progress against the critical path, once additional baseline information emerges in future years.
Completed carbon reduction initiatives
To start our progress towards Net Zero, we have established an Environment Crosscutting Initiative Task Force in our business plan, with cross-business representation and senior officer support. The Task Force will report to our Portfolio Board (chaired by CEO) every year for the current strategic period (2022-2025). The Environment Cross-cutting Initiative is also exploring how Catch22 may attain ISO14001 by 2025.
For information only
In the future we hope to implement further measures such as:
- Source energy from 100% renewable sources by 2024-25.
- Replace gas boilers at Pear Tree Street, 105 Barking Road, and Brasted office (three properties in our control) with decarbonised energy systems (depending on feasibility), such as Air Source Heat Pumps and/or solar energy as supplementary/alternative sustainable energy sources.
- Work with landlords of leased premises to drive sustainability measures, including only renewing leases once Net Zero expectations are met.
- From 2030, we expect the ban on new petrol and diesel cars will begin to gradually reduce our employee mileage claims, falling 10% per annum, to 2040-41.
- We will cease using hotels that do not have a Net Zero commitment.
- We will require Net Zero commitments from our supply chain partners.
Declaration and sign off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans. Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors (or equivalent management body).
Signed on behalf of the Supplier: N. Richards
Date: 26th April 2023