25 March 2019
Catch22 include Primary School, Suffolk is celebrating its Ofsted ‘Good’ grade after an inspection in January 2019. The school provides alternative education for 5 – 11 year olds who have social, emotional and mental health needs, as well as those with autism spectrum disorder.
Include Suffolk, which operates across 3 sites – Ipswich, Lowestoft and Bury St Edmunds – works with around 65 children a year who have been permanently excluded, or are at risk of permanent exclusion, from mainstream education, supporting their academic and pastoral development until they are able to move back into mainstream education.
The school does this through a combination of high quality teaching and tailored, pastoral care. Ofsted noted that “every activity from the start to the end of the day is focused on supporting pupils’ personal development. There is a calm and purposeful atmosphere in every classroom and… a wide range of therapeutic support enables pupils to cope with changing situations in their lives.”
Key findings from the report include:
- The senior leadership team of Catch22 include and the headteacher have an accurate understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the school
- Leaders and staff share a clear and ambitious vision for ensuring that pupils return as rapidly as possible to mainstream schools
- Parents cannot praise the school enough. One parent said, ‘This school is a miracle school. Almost instantly things were so much better’
- Staff know their pupils exceptionally well, and so, provision to meet pupils’ learning and emotional needs is strong
- The pastoral care is of a consistently high quality and contributes to pupils’ outstanding personal development and welfare
- Pupils say that the school has made a real difference to their learning and behaviour. One pupil said, ‘I have learned how to control my anger’
- Pupils feel safe at school and say that they can talk freely to staff if they have any concerns.
Alan Waldron, Headteacher, commented:
“This inspection result is testament to the dedication of all the staff members at the school. But everyone plays a part in making the school the vibrant, fun and nurturing place it is, including parents, carers, children and the local community. Catch22 has provided strong strategic direction and has worked with us to strengthen ties with local schools.
Our mission is to enable each pupil to leave our school with renewed confidence in their ability and for this stepping stone to provide a springboard that re-invigorates their school career. Being rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted serves as recognition of the school’s tireless work to improve outcomes for children in the area.”