12 November 2020
450 young people across the UK who are from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds will be supported to progress careers in the energy industry, thanks to National Grid and leading charity Catch22.
Grid for Good is National Grid’s new flagship Corporate Responsibility community investment programme for 16-24 year olds, and Catch22 is one of the first UK based organisations to participate as a charity partner.
Victoria Head, Director of Employability and Skills at Catch22 said:
“We know young people are being hit hard by the current job scarcity, so we’re delighted to be teaming up with National Grid to open up opportunities in the energy industry. With our expertise in recruiting and supporting some of the hardest to reach groups into work, and National Grid’s commitment and sector knowledge, we’re looking forward to being able to help hundreds of young people secure training and employment.”
Catch22 will recruit young people aged 16-30 from its networks to participate in the programme and support them in gaining an insight into the world of work and the energy industry. This will form part of the wider Grid for Good programme, which includes:
- Engaging insight events to inform young people about National Grid and the wider energy industry
- Peer networking and industry taster sessions as part of team building exercises
- Work readiness training
- 12- week career mentoring programme
- 2 weeks work experience
- Access to job opportunities – including apprenticeships and internships – within the energy industry
- Strong alumni support network for people who have been through the programme.
Global Head of Grid for Good, Dina Potter said:
“At National Grid, we strive to help society achieve a low-carbon future. In order to do that, we need forward-thinking creative minds to help meet the challenges ahead. Working with Catch22 on the Grid for Good programme, participants can develop the skills necessary to help them become part of the new generation of talent building a clean energy future for society.”
Find out more:
- Learn more about the Grid for Good programme
- Read about our other partnerships
- Find out more about Catch22’s core employability programme