As with female victims, there are harmful and misinformed myths surrounding male victims of sexual assault. Here are some of the common myths:
- Males have to be sexually aroused to function sexually
- Males cannot be forced to have sex against their will
- Males should be able to defend themselves against sexual assault
- It’s impossible to rape a male
- Males encourage the sexual assault from females
By dispelling these myths, we can change society’s views on male victims and encourage individuals to get the support they need.