Catch22 reserves the right to amend this policy, following consultation, where appropriate.
Date of last review: April 2023
Date of next review: July 2024
What is the policy about?
The purpose of this policy is to provide a framework for the induction of all staff within Catch22 Multi Academies Trust. Induction provides familiarisation with the organisation in order to ensure that the new staff member is prepared to take on their role.
Who is the policy for?
This policy applies to all newly appointed Catch22 Multi Academies Trust staff including those employees who have joined Catch22 Multi Academies Trust as a result of a TUPE transfer and those who are promoted internally or move into a different role.
Catch22 Multi Academies Trust recognises the importance of providing a timely and effective induction for all new staff to ensure they feel welcomed, valued and they are integrated in their role and Catch22 Multi Academies Trust.
What is induction?
Induction is the process of welcoming new staff members into the organisation, and/or existing staff who have been promoted, and providing them with the information they need to settle and perform in their new role.
Induction begins before a staff member joins and continues until the staff member has all of the information required to allow them to effectively integrate into the organisation.
The quicker new staff members become familiar with their new environment, establish good working relationships with other staff members and understand their role and how it fits into the bigger picture at Catch22 Multi Academies Trust, the quicker they will integrate. First impressions and experiences in the first few days, weeks and months of employment can greatly influence an individual’s perception of their work and of the organisation so there is responsibility for both the line manager and the new employee, to ensure that induction is successful.
How does induction work at Catch22 Multi Academies Trust?
Line manager responsibilities
It is the responsibility of the Line Manager to ensure that an adequate and appropriate period of induction is planned and implemented for all new staff.
- Preparing for the new employee’s arrival, including preparing their workspace, sourcing IT and other necessary resources required for their role, ensuring they have access to Catch22 Multi Academies Trust systems;
- Identifying a Buddy to support with the transition into Catch22 Multi Academies Trust;
- Planning and drawing up an induction programme;
- Delivering elements of the induction programme as appropriate;
- Setting and monitoring probation objectives in line with Catch22’s Multi Academies Trust Probation Policy and Procedure;
- Ensuring the new employee completes Catch22 Multi Academies Trust mandatory and other training (as required) during their probation period;
- Reviewing the Catch22 Multi Academies Trust induction checklist and ensuring all the key information to enable staff to perform in their role.
People Team responsibilities
The People Team will support Line Managers to plan and implement induction for new staff by:
- Facilitating the Corporate Induction and ensuring that new staff are automatically booked onto the next available date;
- Coordinating Catch22 Multi Academies Trust online and face to face learning and developing programme including the delivery of mandatory induction and management training;
- Working with Corporate Services and Development team colleagues to provide information and guides that support the delivering of induction;
- Providing information and guidance on planning and carrying out best practice and effective induction;
- Coordinating Catch22 Multi Academies Trust Buddying Scheme.
New employee responsibilities
In line with our values, new staff are expected to be curious and take a proactive approach in their own induction. Responsibilities include:
- Undertaking all induction activities which have been identified in their induction programme;
- Proactively seeking out opportunities to learn more about Catch22 Multi Academies Trust and collaborate with colleagues in different areas of the business;
- Familiarising themselves with key platforms, policies, systems and processes as identified as part of the induction process;
- Engaging in the Probation process;
- Completing the mandatory training which has been identified in their Probation Objectives;
- Applying the knowledge and skills gained through induction to the performance of their role;
- Updating their learning and development record on HouRs.
Levels of induction
Some induction information can be provided in advance of the start date once a candidate has accepted an offer of employment. This will enable new employees to become familiar with Catch22 Multi Academies Trust and the services that we provide. New candidates should be encouraged to visit the website, have a pre discussion with the team and have some guides around the service they will be joining. The pre-arrival induction information should be provided by the Line Manager and is in addition to that provided in the recruitment process.
This relates to induction carried out at job and Academy level. The objectives of Local Induction are to support new employees to become familiar with:
- their job role, responsibilities and how these fit into the bigger Catch22 Multi Academies Trust picture;
- any commissioner specific training and/or information relevant for their role;
- Terms and Conditions of Employment. This should be signed and received prior to the employee start date;
- expectations in terms of standards (conduct and behaviour) and objectives;
- Catch22 Multi Academies Trust Probation arrangements. All new employees at Catch22 Multi Academies Trust are subject to a 6 month probation period. Please see Catch22 Multi Academies Trust Probation Policy and Procedure for further information;
- Catch22 Multi Academies Trust Performance Management (PEF and Supervision) arrangements;
- learning and development opportunities;
- relevant policies, procedures and systems;
- their immediate and wider team;
- their immediate working environment;
- Academy-specific information, including ways of working; and
- support, benefits and key contacts.
The Manager’s Induction Checklist together with the information and guides on SharePoint are there to assist Line Managers to design and deliver a full and effective induction for new staff.
The specific activities within job induction will be dependent on the employee’s role / Academy and the knowledge and skills that the new employee brings with them.
Managers should draw up an induction timetable for the employee’s first 8 weeks of employment.
The Corporate Induction is facilitated by the People Team. New staff will automatically be booked onto the next induction event as part of the on-boarding process.
The objectives of the Corporate Induction are to give attendees:
- an understanding of our culture, our vision, values and approach to service delivery;
- an understanding of the Catch22 Group structure and the different areas in which we work;
- an opportunity to network and start to build collaborative relationships across Services and Hubs.
- Probation Policy and Procedure
- PEF Policy and Procedure
- Supervision Policy and Procedure
- Talent and Development Policy and Procedure
- Code of Conduct
- Capability Policy and Procedure
- Disciplinary Policy and Procedure
- Managing Sickness Absence Policy and Procedure