Our offender management and rehabilitation services focus on building strong relationships with service users, providing long term support to promote positive outcomes and reduce reoffending. Our approach in custody and for those on community sentences focuses on:
- assessing risks and needs and establishing a personalised action plan
- building high-quality relationships with our service users and partners
- recruiting volunteer mentors to support our work, including peer mentoring for people with convictions
- working closely with The Probation Service, Police and other criminal justice and rehabilitation agencies.
In the 2019-20 year:
- Our Offender Management service at HMP Thameside worked with 2,894 service users.
- Our Through the Gate service worked with 24,360 people across 15 prisons.
- 98% of those we worked with received an initial screening within 5 working days.
- 99% of those we worked with received a pre-release assessment.
- 95% of those we supported said they were satisfied with the service they received.
How we do it
Catch22 have been delivering offender management since 2011 in HMP Thameside with experience managing high risk, lifers and indeterminate sentenced prisoners. Our work is formed around prisoner offences and risks to the public.
A dedicated unit of Case Workers allows us to ensure better quality and to consistently meet targets. Using a strengths-based approach, we assess the motivation of service users to stop offending. Our staff also address immediate risks and needs of service users once they enter custody, including mental health, substance misuse, gang involvement and behaviour work based on their criminality and what needs to be done to minimise risk.
Our work is delivered by a high quality, motivated workforce in a culture of continuous improvement. Our experience has given us the ability to deliver at scale, and we train staff to share best practices in prisons across the country.
Personal Wellbeing Community Rehabilitation Service
As our highly successful delivery of Through The Gate contracts came to an end in June 2021 with the reunification of The Probation Service, so a new opportunity has opened up through our successful bid to deliver Personal Wellbeing Rehabilitation Services across 9 different areas of the country.
This service – available only to those subject to Probation Supervision – aims to address common rehabilitative needs linked to the following areas:
- Emotional Well-Being,
- Family and Significant Others,
- Lifestyle and Associates, and
- Social Inclusion.
It includes mentoring provision for those being released from custody which starts prior to their release and a range of other approaches including delivery of interventions in one-to-one or group sessions, support and advocacy, and advice and guidance. Interventions are tailored to reflect the complexity of an individual Service User’s needs.
A referral is received from a Probation Practitioner and the Service User engaged to draw up a personalised action plan. They are then supported to complete this plan, including direct delivery of interventions by Catch22, as above, and onward referrals to other specialist services where appropriate, drawing on our extensive local knowledge and strong relationships with other providers.
Focus on quality relationships
Building strong, consistent and trusting relationships with service users is at the heart of our approach to prison and community services. We build relationships that motivate and encourage service users to talk about and solve problems, overcome practical obstacles and creating opportunities for change.
Partnership work for change
Our wealth of local knowledge and partnerships enable us to design and deliver specialised services, and access resources and interventions needed to reduce reoffending. We build strong working relationships with Heads of Reducing Reoffending so that our services support strategic prison pathways, setting a model of best practice.
Get in touch
Contact us if you have an enquiry about Catch22’s justice services and a member of the team will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Due to social distancing restrictions, we are currently unable to offer volunteering opportunities or placements at this time. This page will be updated as soon we can welcome new volunteers.
- Due to GDPR restrictions we cannot give out any details of prisoners we work with. If you are enquiring about, or fearing for the safety of a person in custody, please contact the security team at the prison and/or police in your local area. Use the prison finder to find appropriate contact details: www.justice.gov.uk/contacts/prison-finder
Please be aware that we are unable to provide emergency support or urgent responses through this enquiry form.
2 Rated 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is ‘strongly agree’
3 Rated 8.9 on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is ‘strongly agree’