A free, independent and confidential service supporting victims and witnesses of crime across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
Victim First is a free, independent and confidential service supporting victims and witnesses of crime across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
Our team prioritise the victim, not the crime, providing emotional support as well as practical help tailored to an individual’s needs.
The service is provided by a team of experienced professional case workers, supported by a committed and highly trained group of volunteers. The aim is to improve victims’ experience with the criminal justice system and associated support services.
Catch22 deliver Victim First on behalf of Leicestershire Office of Police and Crime Commissioner.
What we offer:
- Emotional Support; caseworkers are trained to listen, to empathise and to recognise the emotional impact that crime can have on a victim. Someone to talk to face to face (home visits or community visits), over the phone or via web chat. We would provide information and advice on your specific circumstances.
- Access to Specialist Support; we can either signpost you to an appropriate organisation or make a direct referral with your consent. We will always offer follow up support to ensure you do not feel you are being passed from person to person. We have a specialist children and young people Caseworkers as part of our team.
- Restorative Justice; this is where you can meet with or communicate directly with the offender. They will take responsibility for their behaviour and you will be able to explain the impact it has had on you and ask questions. We have a dedicated Restorative Justice Caseworker as part of our team, who can talk to you about restorative justice and explore if you would like the opportunity to communicate with the person who has caused you harm.
- Mental Health Support; we have access to mental health nurses to ensure specialist support is given around your mental wellbeing.
- Crime Prevention Measures; we have direct access to a target hardening service who provide crime prevention assessment and measures within 48 hours of referral.
- Advocacy; we can communicate on your behalf to help you to access services you are entitled to e.g. seeking support from local housing authority
- Information and Advice; we can provide you with information and advice around the incident or other organisations that may be able help.
Victims of both recorded and self-reported crime are tracked at all points in their journey and given access to information, practical support, advice and where appropriate, referral to ‘cope and recover’ support services.
Our team works with specialist services across the region to ensure that support engages communities that are harder to reach, providing translators and translated materials whenever necessary.
Victims do not have to report a crime to access the service.
Get in touch
- Call us free on 0800 953 9595
- Visit www.victimfirst.org
Referral options for this service
You can refer yourself
You can refer family or a friend
You can refer a client
Volunteer and placement opportunities
You can volunteer for this service
You can't get a placement at this service