Bright Light is a partnership project being delivered by Catch22 and The Children’s Society getting care leavers into apprenticeships.
16 - 25 years | London
Bright Light is a programme that focusses on getting care Leavers into apprenticeships. It is a partnership project being delivered by Catch22 and The Children’s Society, funded by The Clothworkers Foundation.
This is a pilot programme with the main aim of progressing care leavers into apprenticeships and to understand barriers associated with this to develop solutions, share learnings and to influence national policy.
Few projects focus on this difficult point of transition – when young people leave the care system – to offer full wraparound support, stretching across their immediate needs, mental and emotional needs and their route into employment. This project will explore what more is needed to support care leavers into independence which includes career opportunities, including progression into apprenticeships, employment, education and training – and the systemic barriers that impact on this. We will break down these barriers, real and perceived, that care leavers face in securing apprenticeships to help improve the current numbers falling behind their peers in terms of securing these opportunities.
The main aim of the programme is to support care leavers aged 16 – 25 years into apprenticeships, employment, education and training, whilst supporting them to build confidence, overcome barriers and realise their potential.
Through building a strong and trusted relationship with each care leaver, we will support them into apprenticeship opportunities by helping them with:
- stable personal circumstances to start thinking about a career
- the skills and confidence required to apply,
- tailored and expert advice to succeed through an application process, and
- co-ordinated and sustained support during the 12 – 18 month period of the apprenticeship.
This is a bespoke programme, purely for care leavers, offering one to one support, access to career opportunities, training and self-development.
What we offer
- Supportive, tailored and bespoke one to one career coaching for care leavers
- Coordinating the needs of care leavers with other key workers, signposting to wrap around support
- Regular community based appointments with career coach
- One to one support with applications, cover letters and CV’s
- Reverse job marketing for apprenticeships and employment opportunities
- Opportunity to access live apprenticeship/employment opportunities via the Partnership Development Manager
- Researching and accessing education/training courses and work experience
- Interview techniques and employers expectations workshop
- Self-Confidence and motivation building workshops
- Signposted to support services to assist with barriers or constraints
- Better of calculations and money management support
- Travel training and attending appointments with care levers
- Supporting with travel, clothing and other expenses related to starting work
- 12 months of ongoing support beyond staring an apprenticeship/employment for both the care leaver and employer
For more information
- Download Bright Light guide for businesses and employers
- Download Bright Light guide for care leavers
Find out about Catch22’s work with care leavers
- Southwark Care Leavers Partnership
- The National Leaving Care Benchmarking Forum, a network of over 100 local authorities promoting the development of quality leaving care services
Referral options for this service
You can refer yourself
You can refer family or a friend
You can refer a client
Volunteer and placement opportunities
You can't volunteer for this service
You can't get a placement at this service